'02 track wheel, tire, brake advice

Hello Bimwads,

Tried this on Wednesday, with only a couple of responses - everyone
must've been in Church ;-)  Still looking for answers...

I have shredded the last bit of rubber off of my A008RS's, and will be
finishing off the season on my street Dunlops to stay in the points
race.  What I am thinking about is next year, and have seen some recent
discussion on Auto-X / Track tires, so I am looking for advice on which
way to go.  I plan on a relatively full (10 or more) Auto-x's (we have
to run 51% for points/trophies) and hope to take a Driver's School or
two (Memphis and/or Road Atlanta)  FYI I have a '74 2002, ST bars, H&R
Sports, Bilsteins, urethane bushings, camber plates, etc. and have been
running Yokes on 13" stock steel wheels 185 fr/205 rr.  I would like to
hear from the Digest(s) suggestions for a good junkyard/low budget
wheel, BMW or otherwise, that would allow me to go to a 14 or 15 inch
wheel, as it is easier to find a good selection of tires in these sizes
(qualifier take-offs @ Road Atlanta, etc can last a season or more and
are free!)  I must stress that I am on a budget, and am looking for a
cheap wheel - I know that '84-'91 E30 wheels will fit, but don't want
the expense of alloys, at least in this area they are over $100 ea.
As far as tires go, I have recently heard good things about the Toyo's
both on the list and from some SCCA members here.  I like the idea of
_almost_ as good as an R1, with longer tread life. G Force is not out in
many sizes yet, don't know anything about Kumho, didn't like the
Hoosiers I tried, and for some reason Kleber don't seem to be popular
anymore.;-) Since I will never be in the running for class championship
(M3's, 325is's, and heavily modified Miatas and SE-R's populate CSP
here) I don't need or want the best money can buy, just something to
have fun on.  Any/all tire comments are welcome.
I still have the stock (dinky) brakes, and would also entertain opinions
for a good track pad.  I run MetalMasters on the street and Auto-X, and
have put a few hours on them doing touring laps at various tracks, but
the recent thread on the disintigration of MetalMasters under Driving
School conditions make me think I should seek out another pad.  I have
tried Performance Friction, but the only listed pad doesn't fit. Are
there good pads out there for these old brakes, or do I _have_ to
upgrade to the '77 320i vented rotor on Tii struts, et al?
Sorry for the long post, hope to hear some good things from some of you!

Dave Yando
BMW CCA, SCCA

End of bmw-digest V9 #451