Re: Instrument Cluster

Greg Koenig writes:

> I went to BMW of San Francisco (really nice guys there I might add) and the
> parts guy (Joe), the service manager (Steve) and me (Greg) were looking over
> what it would take to do.  They can actually order all the Euro parts and we
> are trying to figure out which cluster would be the best.  I don't mind
> getting one in KmH ("No officer, I thought 200KmH was 65MpH!"), but I do
> want an M3 cluster (red needles and all).

I believe Mark McHarry has replaced his cluster with a European M3
unit to have an oil temperature readout rather than an mpg meter.  He
has even written an article about it which he is or has submitted to
the Roundel.

Along with the European parts, you may need to get the ZCS (central
coding key) from a European car to enable the oil temperature gauge.
If one is available, you should consider a U.K. market cluster which
will read out in miles per hour and miles travelled.

My dealer swapped in a U.K. unit after the original went south shortly
after I received the car.  Its minor advantages with regard to the
U.S. original are more complete silk screening, a more accurate water
temperature gauge (absolutely vertical) and less overestimation of
speed (compared to the OBC, about 2 mph at 100 mph). If you have any
questions, I or perhaps better still, Mark McHarry can try answering
them.

- -John
'96 318is
john.firestone@domain.elided