Re: Rear sway bar link bracket upgrade - E30/318ti/Z3

Alan Alfano wrote:
> The Suspension Tech rear swaybar comes with what I believe, a similar
> bracket as you have described. Some owners using this swaybar that are
> autocrossed or track driven, are finding that the rear control arm tab
> bracket(s) are being ripped off.
>
> I believe that you have transferred your excessive cornering forces to the
> rear suspension arms.

Yes, but that is the desired result (transferring the forces, not
ripping off the tab).

> You may want to consider re-enforcing the rear suspension arms.
> The iXRegistry highly recommends to enforce/weld the rear swaybar mounting
> points on the rear suspension arms.

Absolutely. In my original post I noted that I had reinforced this area.
I should have mentioned it again in case someone came across the latter
post looking for info on upgrading these brackets. Failure to reinforce
the mounting tab when installing bigger rear sway bars and/or related
hardware will most likely cause failure of the mounting tab on the
suspension arm. You must weld in some reinforcement beneath the tab to
ensure it's strong enough to carry the extra load. I'm told fixing a
broken tab is a PITA and you might be better off replacing the whole
arm.
- --
Ron Katona