<All> Negative Battery Cable Switch

Being a Naval Aviator, I frequently get to spend large amounts of time away
from home.  During my last cruise, my 88 535i decided that the weekly drives
and starts that it was getting while I was gone was not enough to keep the
battery charged up.   As a result my wife wound up stranded when she was
driving it one weekend.  Well, its time to go to sea again (only 6 weeks
this time) and I want to take a different approach to the 5er this time.  I
want to install a switch of some type in line with the negative battery
cable.  I think this should be a nice mix between preserving the battery
when the car is not driven for a period of time while still allowing my not
so mechanically inclined wife the ability to drive the car if need be
without having to figure out how to attach the battery cable.

Has anyone done this before.  If so, any lessons learned?  Where can I
get/what kind of switch should I buy.  Can Radio Shack meet my needs?

TIA
Jeff Wilcox
88 535i 105K