<All> Negative Battery Cable Switch

Jeff writes:
>  I want to install a switch of some type in line with the negative battery cable.  I think this should be a nice mix between preserving the battery when the car is not driven for a period of time while still allowing my not so mechanically inclined wife the ability to drive the car if need be without having to figure out how to attach the battery cable <

IMHO, forget about the switch and get a Battery Tender.  These are sold
by various auto parts houses for about $50.00 (Griots, Bav Auto,
Northern Hydraulics).  The Battery Tender is a sophisticated battery
charger designed to give the battery a trickle charge only when it needs
it.  It won't boil the battery.  Even better, if you're handy with
wiring, you can rig up the attached wiring harness through the grill of
the car so that you can plug/unplug it without lifting the hood.  I've
stored an 88 735il for three or four months at a time with no problems.
I also suggest rigging up a card to hang on the steering wheel to keep
you (or your girlfriend) from dragging the Battery Tender down the
driveway. If you are dead set on a switch, check out a racer supply
house like Racer Wholesale, I/O Port, or Turner.  I'm sure they carry
the heavy duty rotary switch required by SCCA rules.

Craig Eller
BMW CCA Everglades Chapter
E36 ///M3
RM3DR1