re: <E36> rear squeak!

Rob: As far as troubleshooting the clanking sound from the front end,
I've found that if I drive alongside a concrete wall, the sound is
reflected back and it makes it a lot easier to pin down where it's
coming from. I usually use a road with concrete dividers, or go to a
parking garage (best for slow speed sounds, plus usually you can find
a section where you don't have to watch for traffic so much). There's
also what sounds like a really neat tool (haven't used it myself, but
it's on my wish list) - this was posted on another list I subscribe
to:

>On a related thought, in the A&I catalog I saw an "EngineEar", as well =
as a=20
>"ChassisEar", and two other devices.  They range from under $100 to over=
$200
>for capabilities such as 1) electronic stethoscope  2) multi-sensor =
stethoscope
>3) on-the-road driving stethoscope (16 ft. of wire for the engine bay or=
chassis
>to listen to wheel bearings., etc.)=20

A&I Supply (800) 382-2400 (good price on Lincoln floor jack also)

Sounds like a tool every dealer should have - wouldn't it be nice to
hook up a half dozen points, drive around while their technician
listens, and pinpoint where rattles, squeaks or other noises are
coming from!

hth,

Barrett N.
barrett.nicholas@domain.elided