<E36> rear squeak!

My 93 325is has a couple of problems. First, every time I drive
over the railroad tracks or a small bump the car makes a "bird churping"
or high squeak noise sound that seems to come from the the rear part of
the
car. Somewhere from the back driver's side of the car. I have ruled out
the
sunroof and engine compartment. So here are my questions....

Has anyone else had this problem?  Are there any know problems with
E36's and
shock towers or something like that. What are some possible causes that
I can
investigate?

Also, from the rear drivers side wheel sometimes I hear a clanking noise
when I
accelerate from a stop. It is a rhythmic clanking where the frequency
increases
with speed. The clanking is most noticeable during acceleration and
seems to go
away as my speed increases. I had old Helmut (friendly neighborhood
German car guy)
look at it and he said that there wasn't anything wrong. The problem
comes and goes
so I think that he just wasn't able to reproduce it while my car was in
the shop.
If anybody has any clue to what this might be let me know!

Rob

CCA Card Carrying Member of the Windy City Chapter