Re: Mounting a V-1

Nikhil Raj wrote:

> So, what are the preferred spots for mounting a V-1?  With and without
> hardwiring?

Well, after collecting all the info that's been posted to the digest,
I chose something a little different (but borrowed lots of ideas).
Suggested V1 placements include:

	* On a visor
	* Mounted onto the panel that covers the sunroof mechanism
	* In the third-brake-light casing on the rear deck (stealth)
	* Middle of the windshield

I didn't like the visor mount -- it gets in the way of using the visors
and I often would forget and pull it down resulting in the V1 falling
off.  I didn't like the sunroof panel mount because it seems to me
that you'll get reduced frontal detection due to the headliner being
in the way, esp. for laser.  Further, I think signals from the rear
would get reflected from the mirror and received as if from the front.
People claim it works fine, but I remained skeptical.  I didn't like
the third-brake-light mount because you lose laser detection, and I
suspect some frontal detection as well.  Middle of the windshield was
distracting to me and too obvious from the outside, esp. with the
necessarying dangling wire.

I also didn't want to have dangling wires.  Further, in hardwiring
it, I was too lazy to go buy additional parts and to find my soldering
kit.  Thus, most of the hardwiring directions seemed just too
difficult for my tastes.  ;^)

So, I chose a different spot:

	* Mounted above the rear view mirror, just to the left
	  of the mirror mount to the windshield, using the
	  Valentine windshield mount.

	* Hardwired using the Valentine direct wire kit wired
	  into the back of the map light unit, such that
	  the black 2-jack adapter hangs between the headliner
	  and the windshield, just above where the rear view
	  mirror attaches to the windshield (directions below).

Advantages:

	= the V1 does not get in the way of the visors;
	= it is easy to see the V1 display and to hit buttons, etc.;
	= the V1 performance will not be affected by reflections
	  off the rear view mirror;
	= V1 laser detection will not be impeded by the headliner
	  or by the third-brake-light casing;
	= although not stealth, it is fairly unnoticable from a
	  distance as it blends in with the mirror;
	= no dangling wires, whether the V1 is there or not;
	= no extra parts needed -- just Valentine parts; and
	= non-destructive to the car.

Disadvantages:
	= due to the tight fit, it puts the V1 at a bit of an
	  angle that might somewhat reduce sensitivity; however,
	  I have not noticed any such reduction vs. visor mount.
	= not stealth

To hardwire it, I first removed the map light unit by gently prying
the cover off from the left edge and then gently prying the unit
out from the rear edge.  See Ron Stygar's directions or the user
manual for more info.

I then applied a bit of pressure to the headliner from the inside
near the windshield, creating a small gap between the windshield
and the headliner.  I then gently pushed the two wires of the
Valentine direct wire adapter through, one at a time (be careful
getting the fuse unit through).  I then pulled the wires up such
that the small black plug unit was suspended between the headliner
and the rearview mirror mount right at the top of the
windshield/roof, where it is practially invisible.  To connect the
V1, a small 3" phone wire works great, can be removed with the V1,
and will hang discretely behind the rearview mirror.

For power, look for the white wire with purple stripe running
into the map light unit.  That is +12 switched by the ignition.
Use the blue wire tap on the red wire to tap that wire.
I had to clamp it down, open it, rotate 90 degrees, and clamp
it down again to get a good connection.  See the Valentine
directions for how to use the power wire tap/clamp.

The Valentine adapter ground wire is designed to be clipped under
something (like a screw).  Most people recommend soldering the
black wire to a ground, such as on the back of the circuit board
in the map light unit.  That is probably wise since there is no
good grounded screw to use.  However, not having my soldering gun
handy and being anti-destruction when it comes to my M3, I decided
to just run it through the hole in the back of the map light unit
to the main center light bulb, and clipped it under the ground end
of the light bulb (the light bulb clips into two such clips, so I
just clipped the Valentine ground clip in between the bulb and its
ground clip).  Somewhat to my surprise, after lots of rough driving
and high-G cornering, it has not shaken loose.

Pop the map light unit back in (gently folding the excess wires up
into the sunroof motor area), pop the light cover back on, and you're
done!  The only tools needed:  a flathead screwdriver to pry out the
lights and a pliers to clamp down the wire tap.  No additional parts
except maybe a short little phone wire -- but I had several of those
from phones and modem connectors.  Zero damage to the car, other than
a bit of insulator pushed back from that purple and white wire.

For Ron's excellent instructions and pictures, see:

http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/e36/electrical/e36_hardwiring_a_valentine_1.html

For another variation, see Steve Burke's:

http://www.bmwmpower.com/V1install.htm

If you are interested in a stealth mount in the third brake light,
I'll have to do a bit more searching to find those directions.

Hope that helps,

Brian

End of bmw-digest V9 #369