<E36> Clutch pedal feels weird

Over the past couple of days, I've started having a strange symptom with my
clutch pedal.

In traffic everything feels fine and repeated use of the pedal yields normal
and consistent pedal feel.

When the car has been driving for a while (2 mins or more since the clutch
was last touched) and I press the clutch, the pedal goes down a ways with
normal feel, then it feels as if there's a small obstruction.  Once I press
past the obstruction, the pedal feels normal again.  Pressing the pedal
again (how ever many times you like) will not produce the problem.  After
driving for a while, the first time I press the pedal will show the symptom.

I have checked the obvious like the floor mat moving and have removed the
under dash valence and looked for an obstruction there.  I found nothing out
of the ordinary.

Ideas?
- -Al
1996 328is