RE: <E30> Upholstery Question and More

Mike wrote:
- ------------------------------
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:55:09 -0500
From: "Mike Theuri" <mikesoft@domain.elided>
Subject: <E30> Upholstery Question and More

<snip>
My other question regards water being in the left trunk well, this
usually occurs after a heavy downpour particularly if the car is
parked outside, doesn't seem to happen when moving. Its an
'86 325 and it collects in the well where the jack sits. Not a
major problem cause I usually get to it as soon as I find it and I
have the jack and other extra tools protected by water proof
material. Could this be the rear light seals acting up ? Let me
know. Thanks

Mike Theuri
- ------------------------------

"Water leaks are all over E30s like Marv Albert on kinky sex"

Mike, I have had all of the infamous E30 water leaks.  3 different leaks in the
trunk alone.  The best way to fight a trunk leak, is to climb over in there with
a flash light and shut the trunk, while someone you love and trust, makes it
rain.  While you are in there, try not to think of the movie "Good Fellas".  The
taillight gasket is the more well known source.  Do not overlook the big rubber
seal.  One of my leaks was caused by water going UNDER the seal and dripping in
on the battery cover.  I took that section up and noticed it was not crimped
tight on the trunk "edge".  This seal has a metal channel inside that needs to
be tight on the "edge".  Also examine trunk channel very closely.  Water pours
off the rear glass and into the channel and either runs off to the right or to
the left.  The trunk hinge "stop" is spot welded underneath  this channel.
Overtime it weakens the metal, as it did on mine, and wears a hole in the
channel.

I have written a detailed explanation/fix  (with color pics)  of the very worst,
most dreaded leak of all..."water in the rear floorboard".  This leak nearly
drove me to sell all I own, abandon my Family, and buy a small cabin in the
mountains of the Pacific Northwest.  Check it out at Gustavo Melo's most
excellent E30 web site: http://www.gus-melo.com/

Ron Milliet
McComb, MS