age discrimination

To avoid age discrimination, I would suggest that
youngish-looking people establish right up front
that they have the means to buy the car they're
expressing interest in & are not joy riding. This
does not require an outburst. For example, don't
walk into the dealership wearing baggy jeans & a
Snoop Doggy Dogg shirt & say right off the bat,
"Hey dude, I want to drive an M3" with a silly
grin on your face that suggests you learned to
drive a stick shift last week. Make small talk &
say, "yeah, I just graduated from [XYZ] college &
started working for [insert name of big-ass law
firm or company based in your city] and am looking
to replace the old Prelude I bought to get me
through school. Now that I have a good job I
figure I deserve a nice car to reward myself. I
would like to get a used [make] in top condition."
Or, "Yeah, Gramps just kicked the bucket & left me
a bundle which I'm definitely going to spend on a
BMW." You get the idea. I bought my BMW used from
a ritzy Mercedes/Porsche/Jaguar/Range Rover dealer
and believe me, I was by far the poorest-looking
person in the establishment (2-day beard, baseball
hat, etc.), including the janitor. Nonetheless,
after talking to a salesman for 30 seconds on 2
different occassions (different salesmen one year
apart) I was immediately offered test drives in a
mint '94 968 and a mint '95 M3. I am sure I would
have got the same treatment at the local BMW
dealer.

Andy '95 M3