Re: Age Discrimination

I have read all of the opinions on age discrimination and have very mixed
feelings. I am 19 and just purchased a 1993 325. I ended up driving over 300
miles to buy it, rather than purchase it from the salesman who accused me of
being a "tire kicker." My course of action was simply to make him lose the
sale, but I understand where others are coming from. While I do feel very
priveleged and proud that I was able to purchase such a fine automobile at a
young age, that does not alter the discrimination I faced. It is insulting and
embarassing to go to a dealer and have them ignore you and it is irrelevant
that it may fade with time. I do not condone throwing a fit in the dealer nor
do I support any other rash outbursts. I would simply like the members of this
list that downplay the seriousness of the discrimination to realize how awful
it feels. I do not doubt that a lot of young people test drive cars with no
intention in buying them. However, to judge people based solely on age is
ignorant and costly. Judging by the number of list members that have had
similar experiences, it has cost prejudice salespeople all over the country a
fortune in lost revenue. Maybe in the future the salespeople in this country
will come to the realization that they obviously cannot accurately judge the
buying power of an individual merely by looking at them, but I am not holding
my breath.

David Koretz
'93 325i (a 300 mile trip is easy when your riding on spite :) ...happy
driving)