Re: All about wheels :)

David asks:

 I am looking to purchase new wheels (possibly the stock wheels from a new
 style M3 from someone who wanted different wheels than those that come stock)
 and I was wondering if anybody had a direction in which to send me. I have a
 1993 325 four door. I probably want to go with 17" wheels. .... <snip>

I would not recommend the stock M3 wheels.  They bend too easy.  I've bent,
straightened, and bent again 5 stock rims.  I try to drive carefully but you
just can't avoid hitting a break in the pavement eventually, especially at
night.  The days are getting shorter.  Or in the rain.  I bent one rim when I
hit a pothole that was full of water.  It was very hard to see because the
whole road was covered by water.

I quit paying to have them straightened at about $170 by the time you pay to
dismount the tire, ship the rim, remount the tire, balance the tire, and tax.
I purchased new BMW forged 5-spoke rims and I haven't had another bent rim.

My recommendation:  Save your money until you can buy forged rims.  In the
long run they will be cheaper and look nicer.  You can buy the BMW forged rims
for about $500 from one of the mail order BMW dealers advertising in the
Roundel.  Other highly regarded rims are Fikse and ForgeLine.  Their rims are
very light.  Turner Motorsport is running a special on them.  They usually run
close to $800 but Turner is selling the Fikse for $495 and I think the
ForgeLine is $449.  Check out the web site:  www.turnermotorsport.com.
Another rim to consider is the BBS RS II if you want to stay with the "BMW
basket weave" look.

Good luck,

Lowell Seaton
'95 M3 - No more bent rims with forged wheels
Dallas, TX