Re: Waterpump question

abrahams@domain.elided wrote:

> I saw the posting on E36 waterpump failure.Anybody have similar
> experience with E34 M5 waterpump replacement?My M5 has 56k miles-when is
> a good time to replace the waterpump and are there any telltale signs of
> imminent failure?

BMW pumps seem to last 60-80 Kmiles (from experience and from past
postings (if I remember correctly)).

Generally two symptoms of imminent failure:

  1) grindy kind of squealing at cold startup that goes away after a few seconds
      or when the car warms up. (similar to loose belt squeal, but harsher)
   2) slow drip, drip, drip from the water pump weephole

Norm

> Mel
> 1991 E34 M5,Sharked,SS,B&B,etc.etc.etc.

- --
***  Remove "nospam-" from address when responding via email  ***