Theft and Vandalism French style

Digesters,

Just so the Americans on the digest don't get a complex about vandalism,
here are a few tales from France (Paris area).

Last year a colleague of mine purchased a brand new 528i.  He had the car
for 3 days when he decided to park it on the road in front of his home
(usually he parks it up the driveway).  Next morning, the car was gone.
Very upset, he was comforted only by the knowledge that he was well
insured.  So, still needing a car for the short term, he calls up a mutual
friend and asks to borrow his 1990 316i.  "No problem," the friend says,
who was overseas at the time, "borrow it until I get back."  Friend number
1 picks up the car and (yes) parks it in the same location (don't ask).
Next morning the car is gone as well.  Only this time friend 2 did not have
any theft insurance on the car (it was close to burial time, although there
was value left in the car).  They never found the 528i.  The 316i was set
ablaze somewhere south of here and eventually discovered.  And, yes, friend
1 paid friend 2 the "blue" book value for the car.

There are many more stories like this one (although not nearly as funny or
involving strictly BMWs): locks drilled, windows smashed in, doors pulled
back, etc.  And the area is fairly safe, as areas go in France.  The point
is that the US isn't alone when it comes to car theft and vandalism.  One
big difference though, which will come through in this next anecdote.
Someone tried to steal our 1989 316i a few years back.  They just waltzed
up the driveway, in broad daylight, and started going through the car,
looking to see if we left the keys inside.  They then entered the home to
try and find the keys.  My wife was home at the time, heard the noise and
screamed, scaring them away.  She also immediately chased after them (they
stole some other keys, but not the car keys).  She didn't catch them.  When
we told the story to a few American friends they were shocked.  "Are you
crazy! You ran after burglers?!!?"  That anyone would try to chase after
burglers in this day and age was ludicrous to them (my wife is not
American).  Their fear was that she would get shot or stabbed.
Fortunately, thieves around here are not so well equipped (yet).

Charlie
316i 1989 (one attempted robbery)
328i 1999