Re: E28 Scary Brakes

Tony,

Being no E28 expert, I won't go into the possible accumulator bomb
scenarios, if they are indeed applicable.  However, your symptoms sound
like a classic case opf old brake fluid.  When was the last time you
flushed it?.  In case you didn't know, brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs
water, which has a very low boiling point compared to brake fluid, and we
all know about compressible fluid dynamics, etc., etc.) -- over time, you
can get lots of water in your brake fluid, which causes your brake fluid
to boil quite easily, leading to your sinking pedal scenario.  Before I
knew better, I had the same symptoms you describe in a car with original
brake fluid when it was about 4 years old.  Track junkies flush brake
fluid several times a year (or even every event, depending upon the
track).  A strreet car should get new stuff every year, or every other
year if you don't change your oil every 3k :=).  HTH.

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
Keller, TX