E28 Scary Brakes

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but...
I was stopping at a stop sign last night and towards the end of the
braking, the brakes felt like pressure was lost, and the pedal just went
down further and further and the car could not be stopped.  It
eventually stopped probably because there was partial braking applied,
but it was a really scaring moment.  Good thing there were no cars in
front of me.  This is happening on a 87 528e.  A similar incident
happened once when I was stopped at a red light, as I was holding on to
the brakes, the pedal just got soft and my foot went down with it, and
the car began rolling forward.  I had to pump the brakes again to stop
the car.  I checked the brake fluid, and it's at the correct level.  No
warning lights came up, and I've had the pads replaced about 10k miles
ago.
Can anyone help?  I'm not sure if I want to drive like this on the
highway.  Thanks.

Tony Lin
87 535is 133k
87 528e 134k