RE: A Mass Flow Meter Implementation.

Neil Deshpande states:

>Came across this mail on the Porsche List that tells of a 944 Turbo (951)
>owner who performed the Split Second meter swap that was discussed on the
>BMW list not too long ago AND PASSED THE SMOG TEST.

 Actually Neil.. it's IMPOSSIBLE to pass the SMOG test.. the car has been
 tampered.. hence you never get TO the sniff portion of the test..

 It's like going into an emissions inspection with your filler restrictor
 on the gas tank reamed out.. the car can pass the sniff fine, but legally
 it will STILL fail..

 The reason the Split Second system fails is the same reason you'd buy it..

 It's USER ADJUSTABLE.. ever wonder why all those nifty adjustments on the
 Air Flow Meter, etc are sealed with tamper detect caps??

 It's the law..

>Tim, the owner,
>actually leaned out the mixture and passed without a catalytic converter
>in CA!

 And another company I know passed the Florida Sniff Tests with a Stage II
 turbo without cats..

 They still didn't REALLY pass.. and a smart tech, that knew the car would
 get you for tampering.. a big fine.. the EPA could get the installer
 for a mere 50,000 on the first offense..

>I believe Jim C(onforti) had suggested that such a modification would be
>illegal

 Didn't suggest it.. stated a fact.. argued up and down with the creator
 of the thing too.. it's no more a street system than the Alpha-N system
 I created for the early M cars.. but it's being billed as one by some
 of its protractors..

 Jim