RE: Failed Emissions due to JC chip? (NOT)

Brandon Wood poses:

>	My 88 M3 passed Ohio emissions with flying colors two yrs ago but now =
>Sharked and 7k miles older (61k total) it has failed.

 What did it "FAIL" at?? HC, CO, Dilution.. at idle.. at mid throttle..

>Should I have =
>switched the chip out before getting it checked?

 Not necessary

>I thought the chip was 50-state legal (Jim?).

 Where'd you get that impression (not from me) the chip is "for track use only
 on emission controlled motor vehicles".. according to EPA Memorandum !-A it's
 actually 49 state legal (or rather legal in states that have not superceded
 the Federal standard like Cali. and Mass [?]).. but I do NOT advertise it as
 such

>Maybe my original O2 sensor is at fault, I'm not sure.

 Could be.. could also be a dead catalyst.. or bad tune up... or something
 as simple as allowing the car's cats to cool down to much while waiting to
 get tested at the emissions place..

 The chip itself does NOT override the emissions systems of your M3.. so given
 a properly maintained car with a working catalyst at the proper temp, the
 car should pass gracefully..

 What it failed at would be a BIG step towards finding the problem!

 Jim