Re: <E-34> Air Conditioner Noise

 I heard a BMW technician talking about the A/C compressor front bearing
being pressed on to the aluminum front housing of the compressor. The
aluminum eventually yields under load cycling as the compressor cycles
during use. The cure was to replace the unit when it failed with a new or
rebuilt one, or repair the aluminum through careful welding to build up the
worn surface and turn it back to spec on a lathe, then press the bearing
back on. I would go for the replacement. I've seen the repair, it requires
"some" skill.

Chris Ross
'94 525i