<all> LS differential disadvantages...

Hi all,

Julian writes:

> Is there any DISADVANTAGE to an LS differential?  I live in Miami, where
> it rains a lot, but certainly not most of the time.  Just curious  :-)
>
> TIA
>
> Julian Osante
> OS BMW
> Quality Used Parts for Older BMWs
> http://members.aol.com/osbmw

I have a LS diff in my 533i and I notice that the inside rear wheel likes
to chirp a little around corners at low speed (like turning left or right
while accelerating away from a stop for example). The inner wheel wants
to match the outside wheel's speed more closely. Couple this with a little
body roll around the corner transferring weight away from that wheel and
you have a significantly enough reduced downforce and a significant enough
drive force to make the inside wheel chirp a little. Of course the effect
is more pronounced if you do the same maneuver with a heavier right foot.
Not that I would know anything about that... <g>

Basically the price you pay for more evenly distributed power on the ground
when you want it (rain, etc. - heavy on the etc.) :> is more evenly
distributed power on the ground when you _don't_ want it :<.

When would that be? When wouldn't you want evenly distributed power? When
accelerating through corners such as I've described, or on snow when the
whole rear end of the car can begin to move sideways. Makes for interesting
winter driving that can be a little troubling for those unused to the
effect. On the other hand you are less prone to be stuck with one wheel
spinning and the other one standing still. So there are compromises to be
made.

In summary, in spite of their advantages, LS differentials are tougher on
tires than their non-LS relatives. They can also be scary/dangerous in
snow. Those features (along with a higher initial cost, less reliability
and greater repair costs) are the price you pay to put power on the ground
that much more evenly.

Having said all of that, I think it's a fair price to pay. I *like* my LS
differential. And I've resigned myself to the consequences.

Best regards,

Aaron
Aaron Bohnen                     email: bohnen@domain.elided
- -Ph.D. Candidate, Civil Engineering Department, U.B.C.
- -Technicraft Engineering Services