Re: Car Wash

Brian M Kennedy wrote:

> I am talking about a car wash that you drive into -- nothing touches your tires
> (except the floor) -- the sprayers and soapers move around your car -- nothing but
> soap and water touches your car.  There are also no people racing around your car to
> dry it -- you drive out through a giant blow dryer -- and the remaining water
> (spot-free rinse) blows off in the first mile.
>
>The question remains:  do such automated washes pose any threat
> to my car's paint?  I figure as long as the spray is less than 70mph, it is no worse
> than driving 70 through a rainfall (which I assume BMW paint handles fine).
>
> Am I safe?
>
> Brian

Oops, sorry, Brian, I haven't seen one of those yet.  The only car
washes I've seen that you drive through use the dreaded spinning
brushes. It seems your question has 2 parts:  1) is the pressure level
safe?  and 2) is there anything in the water/soap solution that can hurt
the paint?  My answer has one part:  Don't know, but it sounds OK.  Time
for someone else to chime in...

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid that I guess I'll still have to wash myself