Re: Car Wash

Brian asks for further elaboration on the car wash question:

>Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 10:42:27 -0500
>From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Reply:  Car Wash
>
>You (and several others who have suggested DIY is the only alternative) don't
>mention my preferred kind of automated wash system -- wondering people's
>opinions....
>
>Nothing but water ever touches the car.  And the pressure is well below sand blaster
>levels -- I doubt it is anywhere near 70mph -- thus, I wouldn't expect it to be any
>worse for the paint than driving 70mph through a rainfall (which I'd certainly hope
>my car's paint can handle; and if not, I am doomed anyway).
>
>It soaps the car low pressure, lets it sit, then sprays it off.  Its a quick way to
>keep my car clean between thorough wash&wax'ings (for which the only good safe
>solutions seem to be DIY or expensive detailing places).
>
>Opinions?  Issues?

Some of the car washes in the East Bay that I've used are the
"touchless" type, including Hutch's in Hayward, Sponges in San
Ramon/Danville, and Chamois (sp?) in the Blackhawk area.  Besides the
tire-rubbing-on-the-guide-fence issue which I mentioned previously, the
biggest problems are when they dry your car.  This was also in my
original post, but perhaps I didn't make it clear that I was talking
about the drying process, not the washing process.  The un-trained or
under-trained, usually non-English-speaking workers will wipe down your
wheels, under the wheel arches and along the rockers, which even after
the car wash can be pretty scrungy, and then with the same towel,
they'll wipe the rest of the painted surfaces on the car.  This can
scratch the paint.  They'll also wipe the inside of the rear window
across the defrost wires, instead of parallel with them, which can cause
breaks in the wires.

You could probably pay to have the car washed and then tell them not to
dry it, then find a nice shady spot to go park and dry it yourself.
This would avoid the problems, but doesn't seem like the right
solution.  DIY, either at a coin op car wash or in someone's driveway,
or an expensive wash at a detailing shop are still the best alternatives
for a car with a good paint job.  I prefer to do it myself, but when I
don't have time, I'll use one of the local "touchless" places.  But, my
paint is 8 years old and has plenty of scratches already, so what are a
few more?  OK, so I am taking a chance with my rear defroster.

I guess when you don't have your own place to wash a car, there is no
perfect solution.  Of course, you can still come over and use my
driveway, all you have to do is wash my car while you're doing yours.
:>)

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977