Lane Flynn's "I Think I'm Gonna Cry"

Lane Flynn writes:

<<   When I came back out, right in front of the door was an
E36 325i.  It had been painted metallic green, but not just any met.
green-BASS BOAT SPARKLE metallic green.  It had big chrome pieces on the
fenders, about 12" 3-spoke chrome wheels with little WHITEWALL tires, limo
tint windows (even the windshield was tinted), and a rear deck lid spoiler,
but not the tasteful factory one, a BIG curved thing that looked like it
belonged on a Toyota Supra.  Oh, it was also lowered so the front bumper
guard had about .5" of clearance.  And the license plate frame was the one
designed to look like a chrome chain. >>  <<  This was just the first BMW I
had seen mutilated thusly.  How sad...  >>

Well, that one of course takes the cake because it's don to a late model, but
I think I have a story of similar sadness.  As you may or may not know, I
dismantle BMWs for a living so I get to see a wide range of cars that go from
the perfect car that had a bad crash to the trash that has a perfect body but
hasn't seen an oil change or a new air filter since the day it rolled out of
the dealer showroom.  About two months ago we bought this 80 320 with a very
special paint job...  Turns out the last owner thought $99.00 at Maaco too
much to spend on a BMW and so he went for the 99 cent Krylon special.  That's
right, my fellow Bimmerheads, this guy SPRAY PAINTED his car !!!:-(  Wheels,
body, tires, EVERYTHING!!!  We bought it because it had not a single spec of
rust in it, which is not that easy in Florida, but you had to see it to
believe it....
My favorite story though, belongs to a friend and customer of mine, Mr. John
McDonald, who tells me he knew a kid in high school who spray painted "REO
Speedwagon" across the side of his bimmer; about two weeks later someone spray
painted a big "O" in front of that.  :-)

Take care,

Julian Osante
OS BMW
Quality Used Parts for Older BMWs