Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:16:05 +0800
From: David Walker <advantag@domain.elided>
Subject: Sender: owner-bmw@domain.elided

Dear BMW-digest

Re; 1991 525i sedan

I have an English (privately imported to Australia) 1991 525i automatic
sedan.
When moving the car is great - but it really doesn't like idling. It idle=
at about 660-700 revs and tends to shudder/splutter but never actually
stalls. If it was a person you'd say it had a bit of a persistent
cough/stutter. The local BMW dealer and my  mechanic have said that the
current performance is quite acceptable. However my 1984 525 idles
perfectly
compared to the 91, and I don't want to accept that nothing can be done.

Initially the local dealer (when fixing a few other problems when I first=

got the car) said they may be able to 'fool' the car into thinking the
air-con was on so it would idle at a higher rate of revs, but they were
unable to fit a new e-prom chip anyway (something about not being able to=

get the code they needed) so that got put in the too-hard basket.

Interestingly last week the problem got much worse and on taking it to my=

mechanic he found a hose loose which had resulted in an air leak. Of cour=
se
repairing this problem made it much better, but didn't totally eliminate
the
symptoms and we're back to where we were. Of course to my layman's way of=

thinking this implies there could be a much smaller air leak somewhere el=
se
that has escaped identification. =

Any ideas please.

Many thanks