Re: <E30> A/C problems...more then just noise...PLEASE advise!!

Personally, I'd suggest you go with a brand new Sanden compressor.
It's a lot cheaper (about 1/2 that of a Bosch), but you will need to get the
flexible ends of your current suction/discharge hoses refitted with the
proper fittings (the Sanden fittings do not match those of your old hoses).
Any good A/C or specialty automotive shop should be able to rebuild
the hoses for you.

Three months ago I installed a new Sanden (from BMP), along with new
drier and expansion valve.  I stayed with R12 because of the cooling
concerns you mentioned.  The thing works better now than it ever has.
P.S., the Sanden comes with the necessary mounting bracket.  It also
comes with some hose fittings, but I'd suggest you trash them (they are
not of the "beadlock" type).

Good luck,
Norm

Ron Milliet wrote:

> My 87 325is is on the 3rd summer with a rebuilt A/C system that consists of
> a reman Bosch compressor.  It has always been noisy, but lately it has
> really been screaming.  It is a bearing noise, NOT piston knocking from
> inside the compressor.  With the A/C off, you can actually see a slight
> wobble on the A/C pulley. The car now does not cool at idle.  I took it to a
> shop the other day, and with gauges hooked up we noticed the low side idle
> at~70 which is too high.  Then we could see it jump down and back up which
> the tech said was the clutch slipping at idle. Then we reved up a bit to ~2k
> rpms and the low pressure dropped down to normal ~30-35 and started to
> immediately cool down the car. Driving the car around town or on Highway the
> A/C gets downright COLD.  At idle...you sweat.
>
> So I seem to have multiple problems with the compressor.  The "noise" has
> been ever since the reman unit was installed 3 summers ago, but has
> gradually grown louder.  The "no cool at idle" just started a week ago. It
> seems ANOTHER A/C overhaul in is my very near future as our HOT summers in
> the South last up into October.
>
> I have a local shop that will evac the old system. Then leak test and charge
> the new system after I do the installation myself.  Please advise on my
> following concerns:
>
> 1. reman compressor: stay with bosch or, try to use something else...like a
> Sanden, Seiko-Seiki, or Nippendenso.  If other than Bosch, what about
> fitment? New hoses? Brackets?
>
> 2. Where to find a reputable source for  QUALITY reman compressors??
>
> 3. R-12 or R-134a or other?? Should I now convert to another refrigerant or
> stay with R-12 as I chose to do 3 summers ago? I am very concerned about
> R-134 not cooling as well in a system made for R-12.  I have been told by
> automotive A/C shops that I would be disappointed in the performance of the
> R-134 conversion.
>
> Would love to hear from those who have recently traveled down this ugly and
> expensive road.
>
> All comments and suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Ron Milliet
> McComb, MS

- --
***  Remove "nospam-" from address when responding via email  ***