<E30> A/C problems...more then just noise...PLEASE advise!!

My 87 325is is on the 3rd summer with a rebuilt A/C system that consists of
a reman Bosch compressor.  It has always been noisy, but lately it has
really been screaming.  It is a bearing noise, NOT piston knocking from
inside the compressor.  With the A/C off, you can actually see a slight
wobble on the A/C pulley. The car now does not cool at idle.  I took it to a
shop the other day, and with gauges hooked up we noticed the low side idle
at~70 which is too high.  Then we could see it jump down and back up which
the tech said was the clutch slipping at idle. Then we reved up a bit to ~2k
rpms and the low pressure dropped down to normal ~30-35 and started to
immediately cool down the car. Driving the car around town or on Highway the
A/C gets downright COLD.  At idle...you sweat.

So I seem to have multiple problems with the compressor.  The "noise" has
been ever since the reman unit was installed 3 summers ago, but has
gradually grown louder.  The "no cool at idle" just started a week ago. It
seems ANOTHER A/C overhaul in is my very near future as our HOT summers in
the South last up into October.

I have a local shop that will evac the old system. Then leak test and charge
the new system after I do the installation myself.  Please advise on my
following concerns:

1. reman compressor: stay with bosch or, try to use something else...like a
Sanden, Seiko-Seiki, or Nippendenso.  If other than Bosch, what about
fitment? New hoses? Brackets?

2. Where to find a reputable source for  QUALITY reman compressors??

3. R-12 or R-134a or other?? Should I now convert to another refrigerant or
stay with R-12 as I chose to do 3 summers ago? I am very concerned about
R-134 not cooling as well in a system made for R-12.  I have been told by
automotive A/C shops that I would be disappointed in the performance of the
R-134 conversion.

Would love to hear from those who have recently traveled down this ugly and
expensive road.

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks again,

Ron Milliet
McComb, MS