Painting Trim

>From: Bruce Mitchell <bruce.mitchell@domain.elided>
>Subject: <ALL> Painting black trim
>
>I'm considering painting the black side and bumper trim on my E36.  Any
>recommendations on who (dealer, any good auto paint shop) should do
>this?  Does the rubber trim require special paint?  Any other pitfalls
>to be aware of?

Bruce,

Looks kewl as all get-out.  Like the BFG Adverstisement with the silver M3
on BBS RC's. Great for trailer queens.

Will also fracture and crack the paint first time another car/shopping
cart/swinging door touches the trim in a parking lot, etc. Major bummer.

Tips: If you decide to do this, you cannot have any Armor-All type residue
whatsoever on the trim. Most the time its advisable to start with brand new
trim.  Any silicone traces on the trim will make the paint fisheye and/or
not adhere well.  So, if you've been treating the trim with a product,
you'll want to let it go natural for 4 to 6 months before you consider
painting it, or replace with new.

You'll want a body shop to add flex agents into the paint as they would for
bumper covers, etc. Flex agents will help the resistance to cracking upon
impact, but paint is still always brittle.

Duane Collie
SVR/UUC/RM3DR1
National Capital Chapter