RE: <E30> A/C problems...more then just noise...PLEASE advise!!

> I have a local shop that will evac the old system. Then leak
> test and charge the new system after I do the installation
> myself.  Please advise on my following concerns:
>
> 1. reman compressor: stay with bosch or, try to use something
> else...like a Sanden, Seiko-Seiki, or Nippendenso.  If other
> than Bosch, what about fitment? New hoses? Brackets?

	I have no first hand experience with compressors swaps (original
Bosch compressors in both my '89 with R12 and my wife's '90 with R134a), but
I have previously read on the digest that Sanden is a good replacement.

> 2. Where to find a reputable source for  QUALITY reman compressors??

	I believe you have already had one problem with a remanufactured
compressor. Why go that rout again?

> 3. R-12 or R-134a or other?? Should I now convert to another
> refrigerant or stay with R-12 as I chose to do 3 summers ago?

	Convert right away!!!
	A conversion kit from aftermarket sources will cost you $100 ($200
from the dealer). Plus 1 hour of labor to swap the oils in the compressor
which you are replacing anyway!
	A full R12 charge is $135. A full R134a charge is $20.
	If you do the conversion yourself (oil change in the compressor plus
a changing the pressure switches and the valve) R134a conversion will
actually cost less.

> I am very concerned about R-134 not cooling as well in a system
> made for R-12.  I have been told by automotive A/C shops that I
> would be disappointed in the performance of the R-134 conversion.

	Nonsense.
	We have just completed R134a conversion on my wife's '90 325is.
R134a is freezing her knuckles off the steering wheel with fan set on #1 in
100F Dallas TX heat.

good luck,
alex