Re: <E30> Power Steering Problems (another one)

Rolf-

>So to get to the point. Things go ok for a day or two, and then I started
>noticing a leak, and the fluid started going quickly. The leak is on the
>right side of the car when viewed from the driver side, kind of at the
>boot on the axle that goes to the wheel.

Ouch.  That's the power steering rack leaking.  Time for a new one. :(

>Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is and if it is the 'rack'
>how serious is that.

Well, you can continue to drive your car for a little while, but your power
steering is *gone*.  And the cabrio's are _not_ light cars.

>I'm asking because I'm going to have to take the car
>to someone other than my trusted mechanic, and I want to be prepared for
>what they say and want to charge.

I think it's only a few hours of labor.  The big charge you will be looking
at is for the rack.  It lists over $700!

>I have an extended warranty, so hopefully it will be covered.

Don't know about this.  It's definitely not part of the drive train, but it
is a major component of the steering system.

Kenn Sebesta

1989 325iC

http://www.euromajic.com