Re:<E30> Power Steering Problems (another one)

> From: Rolf Drommer <rolfd@domain.elided>
> Subject: <E30> Power Steering Problems (another one)
> So to get to the point. Things go ok for a day or two, and then I started
> noticing a leak, and the fluid started going quickly. The leak is on the
> right side of the car when viewed from the driver side, kind of at the
> boot on the axle that goes to the wheel.

Definately the rack is going.

> Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is and if it is the 'rack'
> how serious is that. I'm asking because I'm going to have to take the car
> to someone other than my trusted mechanic, and I want to be prepared for
> what they say and want to charge. I have an extended warranty, so
> hopefully it will be covered.

If the extended warranty covers it, get it replaced immediately.  If not you
have several options.  A short term fix is to go to your local parts store and
get a can of seal swell for powersteering and automatic transmissions.
However, this is merely putting off the inevitable.  The last I checked, The
Ultimate Garage ( no affiliation, just a satisfied customer ) sold Mavel and
ZF rebuilt steering racks for somewhere between $300-$400 (thats if you return
your core).

Kurt Zimmerman
Hoosier Chapter