<E30> Power Steering Problems (another one)

It almost seems like when one car hears about the problems of another
they get sympathy and tend to want to breakdown as well.

I have a 92 E30 318iC (140k km or 87.5k miles on odo) and a few days ago
my power steering started making noises on turns. Checked the fluid, and
sure enough it was low.
Checked for obvious leaks and couldn't find any, so kept on going for a
while, knowing that I would be taking the car in to my mechanic in a week
when he is back from vacation. (He's off riding his Beemer somewhere.)

So to get to the point. Things go ok for a day or two, and then I started
noticing a leak, and the fluid started going quickly. The leak is on the
right side of the car when viewed from the driver side, kind of at the
boot on the axle that goes to the wheel.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is and if it is the 'rack'
how serious is that. I'm asking because I'm going to have to take the car
to someone other than my trusted mechanic, and I want to be prepared for
what they say and want to charge. I have an extended warranty, so
hopefully it will be covered.

Any comments or suggestions from the technically inclined would be
helpful.
I searched Dale Buening's E30 site, but didn't find much in the way of
details.

Rolf

 Rolf Drommer                 R Drommer Consulting
                               voice: 604-671-5843
                                 fax: 604-945-4761
                               eMail: rolfd@domain.elided
" Mac users swear by their computer,
  Windows users swear at their computers" - Annonymous
Web site: http://home.iSTAR.ca/~rolfd/