Re: [bmw] 330xi vs A4

At 10:00 AM 9/22/2003 -0500, John Schaefer wrote:

I'd appreciate any feed back on your experiences good/bad with this or
similar vehicles. The only comparable car I see in my area is a 2002 A4
with a 6spd; both seem very solid, with the Audi having a bit more room in the back seat, and it could be had for about 2-3K less (32K for the 330xi, maybe 29K for the A4).
I have a '00 Audi S4 and a '99 528i, and my extended family owns a '00 330i and a '01 M3 convertible. My extended family has previously owned a '00 M roadster.

If I want a sportier, more interactive car, I'd go with the BMW.

If I want something that has an edge in design, build, and awd traction I'd go the Audi. The new A4/S4 is even more cushier.

I've never driven the 330xi. If awd is a concern, I'd lean more towards the Audi. In my opinion AWD is more mature and better integrated into the Audi design.

If I had to buy a new sedan today, keeping the E39 and S4, I'd buy a BMW. I lean towards better road feel. A 540 or M5 is my ideal sedan.

Comments on each car:

Audi S4: Quick car, quite tunable. Excellent winter traction. (I keep summer and winter rubber on the car) Nothing stops it except for large drifts. Fun to drive. AWD helps in the dry. Understeers slightly. Slight turbo lag, vagueness on steering center.

528i: Damn comfortable car. Love it. Power is adequate. Excellent ride. Behaves as a much smaller car - I find myself taking wide sweeping turns faster in the 528i than in my S4...

330i: Razor sharp car. Quick. Excellent road feel. A lot busier/tauter than the 528i. Not as comfortable.

M3: Take the 330i, and knock it up 10 notches. I was surprised that the ride wasn't as punishing as I expected. Close 2nd for my perfect sedan.

M roadster: Twitchy rear, easy to oversteer. Could even border on dangerous for an inexperienced driver in the wet. Rear become unsettled over bumps. Clutch was hard to modulate easily. Overall a touchy beast - too much power without a suspension to match.

Thanks!

- Matt