<E36> Requested: rear fog lights advice

Hello,

My family and I will be moving to Europe (Belgium, to
be specific) later this summer.  I understand that
rear fog lights are standard on European cars (I guess
they have more fog than we do in the States).  Anyway,
to register my US-spec 97 328is over there, I am
required to have a rear fog light.  I've looked at
numerous websites for advice and have even seen some
detailed (but exceedingly complex) instructions for
retrofitting US BMWs.  Is there an easier way to
accomplish this - without running new wires, relays,
switches, etc?  For example, would it be legal to
simply have a portable "red light box" that you plug
into the cigarette lighter and then set/velcro on the
back deck?  I'm completely a novice (obviously) when
it comes to overseas travel.  Any advice or recent
experiences would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Dave