RE: A dying Fuel Pressure Regulator, perhaps?

I think your on the right track.
Also check the 'In Tank' Fuel transfer pump - with the hot weather up here
I've had to replace 4 this week alone. The symptoms you describe could also
be caused by a 'vapour lock' in the fuel system - which is normally
prevented by the low pressure pump in the tank. Most E28's will run fine
without the in tank pump as long as the weather doesn't get too hot and the
main pump is in good shape

Stuart.
'83 528e
'84 528e