Re: [alfa] Bleeding Duetto Brakes and Trany Plus Diff Fluid

Mr Ron Abela asks about brake bleeding, fluids and transmission oils for his
Duetto:

<1) I am looking forward to bleeding the brake system and adding new pads all
around.
Should I buy a vacuum type brake bleeder?>

If you are truly looking forward to that, Ron, then you are quite a man! (just
kidding)  I heartily suggest two things:  First, order and install Speed
Bleeders from Centerline, they will simplify your brake-bleeding life!  Next,
go to www.motiveproducts.com, buy their powered brake bleeder.  You will be
amazed at how easy the job becomes!  IAP also carries the Motive Power brake
bleeder, about $50.US and well worth it.

<What DOT Fluid (3, 5 or ?)can I use in the lines? I want to go with something
that will not eat the paint. Also the Dunlop Reservoir had a leak at the base
between the retaining nut on the base of the inside of the reservoir and the
plastic reservoir. There is no rubber seal there to create a seal. >

Most Alfa folks I know use only DOT 4 fluid, compatible with the ATE brakes
(check IAP).  All brake fluid I know of will ripple and lift paint.  Place
shop towels below the master cylinder while the job is ongoing.  I will defer
your question on the use of your Dunlop master cylinder to others more
experienced with the early cars, but why re-use it if it is leaking?  There
are rubber compounds which tolerate brake fluid, and apparently as you say, a
seal is missing or leaking. A rebuild kit may have the seal you need, but
again I am not familiar with the Dunlop systems on the Duettos.

<I am also about to drain the Trany and Rear Diff.  I have found 80/90 Gear
Oil at the local Auto store. This is not Shell Spirax however. It is not
synthetic either. I presume it is the same stuff? Can you let me know!  Also
any tricks on refilling the systems it is kind of tight in there I don't think
I can pour straight into the fill holes at the top.>

On the T&D lube oil, I once again defer to others more experienced with the
pre-Spirax synchro requirements.  If it were my Duetto, I would buy a 25 lb.
(5 gal.) pail of the proper T&D oil from a local petroleum products
wholesaler.  You will need this quantity for refill and future topping up.
They may also sell a pail pump (aka bucket pump), which is THE THING TO USE
for refilling trannys and diffs.  If not, do a Yahoo search on "pail pump".
Get one, Ron-- it's like the brake bleeder-- you'll forever thank yourself for
it!

These are the kind of things I spent a bit of money on over the years for our
vehicles, and even though I only use them once a year or so, they save so much
time and aggravation they are well worth the nominal cost!

Dave Jarman
Lexington, KY
USA