Re: [alfa] Re: Aftermarket Cats...

At 1/26/2004 11:44 PM, you wrote:
Don't know how true this is, but I've heard from several knowledgeable individuals that Alfa OEM cats have a lot more platinum in them than do aftermarket cats. That means that they should last several times longer than the aftermarket variety. If so, the cheaper non-Alfa units would simply not be the bargain that their slightly lesser price would have one believe that they are.
Doesn't really make sense to me.  The platinum is a catalyst, which means
it doesn't get used up.  So having more platinum should not make it last
longer.  It might work better, but not necessarily last longer.  This is
all based on the little HS chemistry I remember from waaaay back when, so
I could be completely wrong.