Re: [alfa] You know me and electricity

> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:19:58 -0700
> From: alfacybersite <acs@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] You know me and electricity
>
> After installing the MarelliPlex when the cutting out of my Alfetta GT
> (with DCOE's) began Fred said rather brusquely, "Install a new ignition
> switch." Since I've whined over the problem for two years (and not
> through yet) bs suggested the same thing, adding since I've switched out
> everything else...
>
> Since the car (starter solenoid) had begun to ignore the starter switch
> when turned - sometimes briefly, sometimes for several minutes - figured
> it was due. So I installed a new one yesterday. Started right up the
> first time. After installing the steering shaft shroud started it up to
> drive it in for the night. Momentary nada. Then started. Today I had
> about eight stops to make. Did the momentary nada half the time.
[deleted]

My guess at this point is that the solenoid might be OK but the starter
motor itself is stuffed.  If you can hear a solid "click" when the starter
switch is engaged, you have no solenoid problems.

My Alfetta did this last year - it was quite simply worn bushes in the
starter
motor (and the rest of it) not allowing the starter to turn over.  The
starter will
sit there, engaged, shunting power to earth and merely heating up instead of
turning the engine over.

Pull it, take it to a reputable auto electrician and have it rebuilt
properly.

Cheers,

dave.

1975 Alfa Spider Veloce "rusty"