[alfa] You know me and electricity

After installing the MarelliPlex when the cutting out of my Alfetta GT
(with DCOE's) began Fred said rather brusquely, "Install a new ignition
switch." Since I've whined over the problem for two years (and not
through yet) bs suggested the same thing, adding since I've switched out
everything else...

Since the car (starter solenoid) had begun to ignore the starter switch
when turned - sometimes briefly, sometimes for several minutes - figured
it was due. So I installed a new one yesterday. Started right up the
first time. After installing the steering shaft shroud started it up to
drive it in for the night. Momentary nada. Then started. Today I had
about eight stops to make. Did the momentary nada half the time.

So now we've learned it probably wasn't the starter switch after all.

A few months ago I switched out a nonfunctioning starter solenoid with a
used one. Seemed fine until recently so haven't ruled out that the 2nd
one wasn't in that great of shape either.

In the a.m. I'm going to put an ohm meter on the black wire to the
solenoid. I have more than my share of problems with electricity, my
batting average isn't any better with digital. I'll be using my 30 year
old $12 Radio Shack analog tester. Battery was replaced about eight
years ago (for the first time and is working just fine thenk you). Ohm
meter has five settings - RX1, RX10, RX100, RX1K, RX10K.

With that information tucked away, what should the meter read (ideally)
from one end of the black wire to the other with one of the above
settings (specify which)?

I assume you're going to have to complicate things by saying like, "You
have to check the cranking reading." Should you insist on this
complication, specify the reading and are we now in ohms or volts? I
assume all the ignition switch is doing is completing the circuit to
energize the solenoid so, okay, this confuses me as to which direction
the electricity is heading.

I have a Bosch starter relay installed under the hood.

You thought this highly technical discussion was completed didn't you?
Nah!

Ignition wires:
Green: Goes to coil.
Red: Brake lights. Let me worry about that one.
Brown: Juice to fuel pump through the fuel cut off solenoid (though it
has been bypassed for now).
Black: Goes directly to the starter solenoid. Works or doesn't work.

What would cause a faulty (worn) ignition switch to sometimes not send
juice to the coil or the fuel pump? The starter relay has been installed
for all but the first ten years of the car's life. Yes, the engine
ground is installed and is well grounded.

Note: Car hasn't cut out since I installed the good old reliable analog
Bosch distributor in lieu of the MarelliPlex which is winging its way to
Jim Steck for a check-up and a recurve as we speak. Why not just stick
with analog? In spite of many in the know, the MarelliPlex (only
electronic ignition I'm familiar with) makes the engine run so much
smoother and idles 'almost' reasonably well (night and day difference).
Can't say the Webers couldn't use some subtle rejetting and synching,
but whether it is masking problems or not, I Want My MarelliPlex Back
And Working Full Time.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA