RE: [alfa] water in GTV-6 doors

> It's been raining a lot here lately, and I could hear water
> sloshing around
> in my passenger door, which seemed odd because I thought it had a drain
> hole (evidently not).  When I went down a hill, a lot of it
> poured into the
> cabin, which didn't help the already-soaked carpet (more on that
> later).  I
> finally decided to take one of the bolts out of the bottom of the
> door, and
> ~1.5 quarts of rainwater drained out!  This can't be good for the steel.
> What do the rest of you do to contend with this?  Drill a drain hole?  Is
> there a way to keep water out of the door in the first place?

Yep.   Some US Alfa history relayed to me by a dealer in the 80's.   Ever
notice how Alfettas always seem to rust the bottoms of the doors out?
Ironic.  With Alfa's rust problems through the late 60s and early 70s,
ARDONA decided to undercoat the hell out of the US cars to account for the
use of salt on the roads.   They did the insides of the doors and
subsequently plugged the factory drain holes making the problem worse.

Not sure if this is true of the GTV6.   You'll find (or should find) some
plastic on the inside of the door behind the panel too.   If you take off
the panel, and carefully pull back the plastic, you may be able to find the
stock drain holes in there and unplug them.   You'll also want to replace
the lower window seal so the water doesn't leak in there to begin with.
Can't remember if the GTV6 has that cool smokers window with the crank knob.
That may be leaking into the door too.

-Peter (waxing nostaligic about my old '76 Alfetta)