[alfa] Re: Killer 147 from Autodelta

>Why would 280km/hr be any scarier in a FWD vs. RWD or AWD?
>I have owned both FWD and RWD cars, and more of the scariness
>at speed depended on my comfort level with the speed attained,
>the vehicle, and the road surface/condition. Some cars give more
>disconcerting feedback at higher speeds than others. Anyone else
>have any other thoughts, opinions, speculation, or factual knowledge
>about this?

Within the last few months BMW introduced their new X-Drive AWD system. This system takes over in the X3 and X5 from the previous system that was based on three open differentials and electronic application of the brake of a spinning wheel. The new system apparently has a central electronic multiplate clutch capable of directing all the torque to either the front or the back. In the baseline position, 60% goes to the back and 40% to the front. The balance is moved if slippage occurs. However, at speeds above 160 km/h, all the power goes to the rear wheels.

I don't think the fact that BMW does something is much of an endorsement, but there might be a rationale behind this choice. Maybe someone can offer their insight.

Sonny
'91 164 S
Baltimore