[alfa] Re: Mechanical tensioners and Market thinking

Yep, George Schweikle describes the common failure perfectly.  Although he did not receive much response from vendors, I found in my inquiries that the small spring failure is rampant, and the "improper installation" theory is weak.  I'm looking at a jumbo paper clip on my desk whose wire section is more stout than the spring wire on the tensioner.  George, does this look familiar?

http://home.san.rr.com/glehmann/V6-TensionerBreak.jpg

Food for thought on replacement car thinking.  If one uses the BMW 3 series as a reference point through time, it seems to me that the current G35 6 speed sedan falls into much the same position relative to a 3xx BMW as a Milano Verde did in its day. RWD, A little larger engine, a notably less expensive price point, and very balanced handling with close to 50/50 weight distribution (in the G35 due
to the relatively rearward placement of the V6).   I would have bought a 156 this year if there was one to buy, but having to punt, the G is working out just fine.

Gerry Lehmann
down to but one Alfa due to similar experience to George and Doug
'86 GTV6 3.0
'02 Audi S6 - timing belt on 90k interval
'04 G35 - with timing chain