[alfa] Re: Jinxed. Milano clutch failure

Lupton, Tony wrote:
If you get unlucky, you'll have to remove the front of the clutch housing in order to remove the broken pivot pin with a combination of heat and a cold chisel.
I did this anyway, so I could lube the input shaft. I also took the opportunity to install new transmission mounts and a polyurethane deDion bushing.

Do you really want to reuse the old one? Probably false economy - they're almost as consumable an item as a V6 water pump.
I don't want to, but this is my only daily driver so I don't have a lot of options. I ground the head a bit so it's easy to install/remove with a 13mm socket.

An even better idea is probably the stainless steel version from Allan Burgess Engineering at 18 Bath Street, Christchurch (P.O Box 7310, Sydenham, Christchurch 1) Ph 0064 3 666 6172, Fax 0064 3 662 747. NZD 80 when priced in 2002. They have 13mm hex in the base of the pin, so it can be removed through the hole with ease. Apparently they have a much longer service life than the factory version.
Disclaimer - I haven't actually used one of these.
I've got a lot of projects going, but this would be a fun lathe project... Ah, who am I kidding. I'll never get to it. The used pivot only has to last until spring or summer when I replace the current gearbox with a refreshed/lightened spare.

I'm nearly done now... just need to reinstall the crossmember and the exhaust.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org