[alfa] RE: Jinxed. Milano clutch failure

Hi Mark,

As John Katos said, there's not a lot of room in there to operate.

It's not a really difficult job, just a lot of stuff that has to come out first:

1. Drop exhaust
2. detach driveshaft from clutch spider
3. Unbolt de-dion (sp) cross-member from floorpan
4. drop front of transaxle by pushing up on the de-diod tube at the back
5. get lucky and are able to remove screwed-in end of pivot pin through the clutch fork aperture
6. extract ball end of pivot from clutch housing using magnet on string/probe
7. screw in new pivot pin through aperture. you will need some special spanner for this one, because guaranteed the flats on the new pin will be running vertical when you want to apply final torque.
8. Reverse 1 through 4

If you get unlucky, you'll have to remove the front of the clutch housing in order to remove the broken pivot pin with a combination of heat and a cold chisel.

Do you really want to reuse the old one? Probably false economy - they're almost as consumable an item as a V6 water pump.

An even better idea is probably the stainless steel version from Allan Burgess Engineering at 18 Bath Street, Christchurch (P.O Box 7310, Sydenham, Christchurch 1) Ph 0064 3 666 6172, Fax 0064 3 662 747. NZD 80 when priced in 2002. They have 13mm hex in the base of the pin, so it can be removed through the hole with ease. Apparently they have a much longer service life than the factory version.
Disclaimer - I haven't actually used one of these.

Regards,

Tony
1985 Alfa 90 2.5i
Brisbane, Australia