[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #998 - Busted Spider oil pan/filing a claim

In a message dated 12/6/2003 3:01:08 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 06:03:54 -0600
From: "KStevenson" <k.st@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: [alfa] Re: Busted Spider oil pan/filing a claim

This brings up another option. One could file an insurance claim with
your applicable deductible. This type of damage is covered you know.
Your insurance company will in-turn work against the city to recover
damages paid. Other than the deductible, it seems most efficient this
way.
    I am hesitant to do anything that might give my insurance company a
reason to cancel me.  I have been there and had that happen.  A small claim like is
not worth the potential problem.
    Go get the city / county / state over the condition of the road.  But do
not file a $300 to $500 claim with your insurance company.  A used oil pan can
be had from eBay for well under $100 and I bet you could get it replaced for
$200 to $400.
    Insurance companies will cover some strange things.  I bought a 91 spider
that had been totaled by the PO's insurance.  The driveshaft donut / giubo
had come apart and the drive shaft ate its way into the interior.  I had to
replace the transmission, drive shaft, carpet, console and weld in a new
transmission tunnel.  I always thought mechanical failures were not covered.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City