Re: [alfa] Reliability-are we going backwards or forwards-Some Alfa content

I was a bit perplexed that this thread didn't stir more comment. Maybe the
questions Tim poses are a bit tough for some of us Alfista to stomach, but I
suspect our readership is evolving somewhat compared to years past.  Change
happens.

Regardless, it's good to hear feedback from abroad on others' experience with
modern Alfas. It does have the effect with me of heightening my appreciation
for our '91 and '94 Spiders, believe me.  I not only see Alfa (read Fiat)
going in dubious directions with their technology, others are feverishly at it
as well.  Let me sell you a three year old Bimmer with I-Drive, right?  Any
takers?  How about a good deal on a new GM luxo-SUV with all the bells and
whistles, nicely multiplexed through the wiring harness?   Uh huh... silence
IS audible.   Every time I read some gee-whiz road test (usually R&T) on the
newest high tech offerings, I thank my lucky stars our family won't be buying
them.  Can you imagine the cost of maintaining a 7 series BMW as the second or
third owner down the road?  Or a new Audi or Cadillac?  Makes maintaining a 24
valve Alfa look like ox cart repairs.  Visualize replacing ECUs and control
modules costing as much as a go-to-work used car, with little to no
alternative repair choices.  No thanks- our family will be into comfortable
but basic transport for the foreseeable future-- we will not be among those
who fall for technology for the sake of technology itself.  Our Motronic
Spiders may not keep up with a new MX5 Miata, but they still feel like a
sports car should and are every bit as reliable.

The most reliable vehicle I have ever owned now sits in our driveway-- my
little '93 Nissan 2.4 liter I4 cylinder pickup truck.  I have had it for over
three years, having bought it with 138,000 miles on the clock.  It now has
nearly 200K, and the only work I have had to do with it was to replace the
exhaust system, shocks, brakes and battery.  Normally expendable parts.  No
system nor component, and I mean nothing, has malfunctioned with this Nissan
in my three years of constant daily use.  It simply runs and runs flawlessly.
Obviously, the suppliers to Nissan and the Smyrna, Tennessee engineering staff
have done a tremendous job on this series pickup, because I hear other owners
swear not even a Toyota pickup could lure them away from their Nissans.
Incredible design and component quality.

Now, if the 164 control systems were primarily Bosch, which they were, the
thing I could never understand was why certain Bosch components chugged on
forever (starters), and others failed with regularity (temp sensors).
Certainly Bosch management could not truthfully say they had a worldwide
handle on their manufacturing quality, because they clearly did not!  Nor
could I understand how Alfa engineers and designers could execute some things
so wonderfully (suspension/ride dynamics), and literally fall on their faces
with others (timing belt/tensioner layout).  Moreover, there are certain items
on late model Alfas that cannot be guaranteed to be repaired, and the V6
timing belt is one of them.  Not due to faulty installation or lack of
knowledge, but variable quality of components.  Face it- there are many of you
out there who followed Centerline's instructions or Rex Chalmer's instructions
to the letter, and we're talking mechanically competent Alfistas, and they
lost their valves and heads because the new tensioner failed.   The root cause
was inferior quality replacement parts - period.  Contrary to what the
automotive quality gurus like to preach, design for reliability and dirt cheap
production cost ARE mutually exclusive factors.  Think about that next time
you're at 35,000 feet on a Boeing 767.

As I get closer to retirement age, having put up with corporate America and
their self-induced hype for 33 years, I really believe it's spreading with
globalization of business and economy.  The number of plant managers and
executives I've seen who really knew what was happening in their plants, with
their product, I can easily name on one hand.  The rest were (are) full of
s**t, and are not concerned for anything except their perks and continued
climb up the corporate scale.  They don't care about their people, they don't
care about their machinery, nor their physical plant condition, and many don't
even know their families.  It is a sad state, but most large companies run on
autopilot, with credit going to middle management and line workers for
whatever success is achieved.  Sadly, it seems that Fiat has dragged Alfa
Romeo down into that same mire with them, and the problems Tim describes are
ample evidence.  I sincerely wish Alfa had other options, because that
glorious marque does not deserve these kinds of issues nor reputation.  The
156 is a truly exciting car, but I would only buy one if I could have some
degree of confidence in its component quality.  Such are my standards, even
for Alfa.  In the long run, high customer expectations will benefit Alfa
Romeo, if they can survive Fiat ownership.

As for me, I'll hold onto our Spiders and hope that sheer capitalistic
enterprise can furnish a reasonable supply of parts into the near future here
in the USA.   Viva Alfa...

Dave Jarman
Lexington, KY
USA