[alfa] Reliability-are we going backwards or forwards-Some Alfa content

I think design and production engineering quality will always out in the end
whether it be at the electronic or mechanical level.

Some thirty years ago a student colleague of mine was sponsored by Vauxhall
(GM) on his mechanical engineering course. He was a bit shocked to discover
that the bearings in a Vauxhall gearbox were specified to work at maximum
explain why Vauxhall Viva gearboxes used to get rattly and whiney at anything
above thirty thousand miles. When I worked for a used car warranty company we
would replace loads of these.

Turning to Alfa, I have a very high regard for the fundamental robustness of
the traditional Alfa twin cam four cylinder with chain driven cams that we are
all familiar with. The record of this engine is pretty well impeccable. A post
on the 164 FAQ has highlighted a twelve year old 164TS with 97k miles on it
producing 144bhp on a rolling road, the engine having never had any attention
other than normal servicing. The manufacturers quoted figure is 148 bhp. This
is not an unusual story for the 164TS

By contrast I see a small but significant number of advertisments for used
Alfa 156's that say "new engine fitted by Alfa Romeo at xxxx Miles". I hear of
intractable flat spot problems that electronic diagnosis cannot detect. There
are regular failures of one the of the ECUs in the Selespeed system, The fly
by wire throttle units are quite a common failure. The bottom ends of the
newer engines does not seem as robust, and who needs to mention cam belt
failures....for the millionth time. The newer Alfas wear out suspension
components at very low miles. On the plus side they do not appear to rust
badly, but then neither do most cars these days, and the quality of the
interiors is way above historical standards.

By the 'word of mouth' measures that I rely on the reliability account is
currently in deficit. There have been grumbles about VW quality and
reliability of late that you would not have heard ten years ago. Peugeots have
installed wiring looms with poor quality connectors (they corrode) for over 40
years that I know of. The 406 has all the problems of connectivity that my
father's 403 had. Ten years ago the 604 was recalled to retro-install wiring
looms with gold plated connectors for some vital functions(they kept stranding
their owners for no apparent reason, and when they were towed in they started
first time in the workshop )..and they never seem to learn.

My humble opinion is that the virtues of simplicity have been cast aside, and
that when you make increasingly complicated systems cheaply then the problems
begin. Alfa do not seem to appreciate that by making cars that have well below
average reliability levels and are expensive to repair, then you shoot
yourself in the foot with appalling residual price levels. Give me a simple
machine that works all the time over a complicated machine that works better
some of the time.....but make BOTH of them nice to drive (which is why I don't
have a Japanese car...so far)

Tim Hancock   Boston UK

164TS
164 Super (Taxed it this morning..picking it up next saturday  hopefully)