[alfa] Dynos, NAC (was: 100 years of powered flight

Just when one thinks they can make a sweeping comment based on
absolutely no information but gut feeling, the 'grand comment' gets shot
to hell big time. A few days ago I was informed pretty politely I had my
head up my arse regarding the lack of 'dynos' in 1903.

It almost appears from the various comments there were more then than
now. NO, I'm not sticking by that comment, 'cause I'll get one from some
anonymous person saying something like, "Ford alone has 5,000 dynos
worldwide, not including our suppliers" - or something like that.

All I know is I told Orville and I told Wilbur (to coin a phrase), that
thing's never gonna get off the ground" - and I'm sticking to it. I just
know one day they'll all start falling out of the sky for no apparent
reason.

Okay so I'm wrong, really wrong regarding early dynos, You Happy?

Since I'm an Aries, have been told they / we have to be knocked down
about 30 times before we finally get the point. Not a believer in
astrology but will have to accept that one.

Having confessed that, once more into the brink: Just going on gut
instincts here, but the Wrights controlled the turning of the Kitty Hawk
by a combination of 'wing warping' (literally - guessing as to how -
pulling levers to warp one pair of wings and, again assuming, another
lever, to warp them on the other side) combined with shifting their own
weight from side to side.

In 1908 Curtiss used ailerons. Not arguing he didn't get help from 'the
brothers' but which method do you think say a pilot of a 747 would
prefer using to help control his plane?

Dennis Simanaitis ends his article (A Tangled Tale of the Wright Bros.,
Attorney Selden and Mr. Ford) in R & T by saying, "...to this day,
aviation enthusiasts are still known to align themselves on one side or
the other of this second (Wright vs Curtiss patent infringement case)
notorious affair."

Apparently matters were never resolved and on June 26, 1930 the two
companies merged to form Curtiss-Wright Corp.

Biba
(who will wisely be unavailable for further comments on this subject
until 2103)
Irwindale, CA USA