[alfa] Re: GTV6 Oil Consumption

Can anyone provide any pointers on determining whether oil smoke in
the exhaust is coming from ring blowby, or leaky valve guides, or both (or anything else that might introduce oil into the combustion chamber)? I'm contemplating some sort of partial rebuild on my GTV-6 engine, and I'd like to know what's causing the worst of the oil consumption, and target that specifically.

The classic behaviors I believe are, if you have continious smoke under heavy accelleration, it's the rings, and if it appears occasionally, either after a long idle, or after a long throttle off deacelleration, it's the valve guides. Best way to get the valve guide smoke is to rev high, then do a long throttle closed deaccel thru a few gears, so there's a good time of high engine vaccum. Then when you hit the gas, you'll know..

Slower speeds during testing help, because a surprising amount of smoke can be diluted by lots of "airspeed".. Having someone chase you and observe, or driving the car while you chase and watch might be ideas.

Doing a classic leakdown test might shed some light as well.

Hope it helps...

Jon