[alfa] vibrations

Thanks to everyone who suggested that my scary vibration might have been a missing wheel weight--that suggestion made me realize that it was probably the mud caked on my wheels. After a car wash and some driving in the rain, the vibration was still there so I was worried. I finally borrowed a socket (PO put wrong-size studs and nuts on the muddy wheel) and a breaker bar (damn "professionals" who installed my new tires in August seriously overtightened them!) and removed the muddy wheel to reveal a huge amount of gravel, sticks, and dirt caked to the inside. I managed to cram it into a commercial dish sanitizer, and that cleaned it up pretty well. Now I'm vibration-free at freeway speeds!

What I want to know now is how an imbalanced wheel can make the whole car shake like that. It can't move any more than the tire will deflect, and I would think that any movement that small would be taken up by the suspension. My rough calculations indicate that the wheel would be spinning at about 16 rad/s, and I would think that the related vibration would have the same frequency, but it felt higher than that to me.

-Joe